A quick, easy grab and go breakfast can be the key to a stress-free weekday morning and these Sausage Green Chile Egg Muffins are a new favorite around here! Don’t let the size fool you…there’s some amazing flavor packed in to these egg muffins!
I’m sure you know now that I am a huge fan of food prepping, especially for breakfast! Mornings can be brutal and having a few quick options for a yummy breakfast can be the difference between a complete morning meltdown or a total triumph! Extra points for a healthy breakfast not packed full of sugar! These Sausage Green Chile Egg Muffins are just the thing to get everyone out the door with a smile.
Making Sausage Green Chile Egg Muffins
I know there are lots of recipes floating around for egg muffins but hear me out. I am not someone who can eat a huge plate of scrambled eggs…I have to be in the mood for eggs and honestly I never know when that’s going to be! There is one thing I do know…I despise dry eggs. Whether they be scrambled or in a frittata or quiche, I like my eggs creamy and velvety! Dry and flavorless eggs are not good eats!
Sausage Green Chile Egg muffins are packed full of savory sausage, flavorful green chiles, gooey cheese with creamy velvety eggs holding it all together…sounds dreamy huh?! The secret to this yummy egg muffin is the addition of sour cream and salsa to the eggs!
Are you dairy free?
Feel free to substitute your favorite dairy free cheese or leave it out completely and substitute full fat coconut milk for the sour cream…they will be amazing! You can also leave the sour cream out…your muffins will be a bit more fluffy but still DELISH!
Preparing the pans for the egg muffins
Preparing the pans for the egg muffins is so important! If using a muffin tin, make sure to grease each muffin cup well. Eggs are notorious for sticking and cleaning the pan will not be fun! To stay safe use parchment muffin liners or a silicone muffin pan.
Make a batch of these Sausage Green Chile Egg Muffins on Sunday and you are set for the week! Quick and easy, they can me in the oven in less than 15 minutes!
Like these Sausage Green Chile Egg Muffins? Check out these other quick and easy or make ahead breakfast options!!
Sausage & Green Chile Egg Muffins
- 1 lb, breakfast sausage
- 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups grated colby jack or Monterrey jack cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream, full fat
- 1 Tbsp. your favorite salsa
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease or spray a muffin pan liberally. Don’t forget to spray the pan…it’s worth repeating!
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked and browned up.Add 2 tablespoons of the cooked breakfast sausage to each cup in the prepared muffin pan. Then add 1 tsp of chopped green chiles to each cup. Then divide the cheese evenly between all of the cups.
- In a blender or a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, salsa, salt and pepper and mix or blend until combined…a blender makes quick work of this! Divide the egg mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake the egg muffins for 20-22 minutes or until done. Let the muffins cool in the pan at least 20 minutes before removing. You may need to run a butter knife around each on to loosen it! Serve warm or at room temperature or store in a covered container in the fridge for a quick grab and go breakfast or snack!
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.