This Keto Taco Casserole Recipe is brought to you by Fiesta Brand Seasonings.
If you’re looking for something new and delicious for taco night, this easy and cheesy Keto Taco Casserole is it! When cool weather comes around I start craving comforting casseroles! Layers of spicy ground meat and cauliflower rice filling stuffed with a delicious cheesy pepper jack mixture, topped with cheese and baked to bubbly perfection! Topped with lettuce, tomato and some diced avocado, you have a keto meal that will have your family begging for more!
Taco night is big around here…I mean it’s Texas! On taco night, Maddie and I almost always make a big taco salad while the Cowboy and Paige eat tacos. Since the weather has cooled down, I’m really not big into salads at the moment so I needed to come up with something to satisfy our taco cravings on the most anticipated dinner night of the week! Well, especially in the winter months, I love quick and easy comfort food casseroles so this fun Cheesy Keto Taco Casserole was the answer!
Delicious Tex-Mex keto dinner on the table in 30 minutes!
This taco inspired casserole is so simple to make and can be in the oven in less than 20 minutes! First the ground meat gets browned up with onions and seasoned with some amazing Fiesta Brand Seasonings spices like chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Feel free to use whatever ground meat you have on hand, beef, venison, turkey or pork will work great!
Then to make the meat filling a little saucy, add your favorite salsa! This adds so much more flavor than plain ole’ tomato sauce and also provides a bit of heat, which I love. You can use mild, medium or hot…whatever you like to spice up your Keto Taco Casserole. I would just steer clear of any salsa with added sugar.
Now for the cheesy filling for this yummy taco casserole…
Now to make the cheesy filling, you’re going combine pepper jack cheese, cottage cheese, some seasonings and an egg to hold everything together. This cheesy layer my favorite part of this casserole!! Be sure to use a cottage cheese with at least 4% milkfat or higher to keep the carbs in this keto dinner super low. If you not a fan of the heat of pepper jack, substitute Monterrey Jack cheese.
Now everything gets simple layered into a casserole and topped with cheese and baked for 25-30 minutes…so easy and so YUMMY!
How to serve up this taco casserole
We like to serve this Keto Taco Casserole up topped with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and avocado and it’s a sure fire hit! In fact, I’ve made it twice in the past two weeks and it gets rave reviews each time!
If you are looking forward to leftovers like I do, top each serving with lettuce and tomato instead of the whole casserole. This will save you from having hot wilted lettuce on your lunch!
This easy, cheesy Keto Taco Casserole is everything I love about taco night wrapped up in a comforting, delicious casserole the whole family can get excited about!
Looking for more Tex-Mex inspired keto comfort food recipes? Check these out!
- Garlic Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Texas Style Keto Venison Chili
- Mexican Spaghetti Casserole
- Mexican Tomato Soup
Easy & Cheesy Keto Taco Casserole
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef or venison
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 10-12 oz. bag frozen cauliflower rice thawed and dried**
For the Filling
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese 4% milkfat or higher
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 egg
- ½ cup shredded Colby jack or cheddar
Garnish: Shredded Lettuce, Diced Tomatos and Avocado
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease or spray an 8 x 8 casserole dish and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large skillet combine the ground meat, diced onion, 1 ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. garlic powder, chili powder and cumin and cook over medium high heat until browned. Stir in the salsa and cauliflower rice that has been preseed dry between paper towels and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded pepper jack, cottage cheese, ½ tsp. garlic, ¼ tsp. salt, parsley and the egg and stir until well incorporated.
- To assemble, place half of the meat mixture into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish and spread evenly to the edges. Dollop the cheese mixture over the top of the meat leayer and spread the cheese mixture evenly over the meat. Spoon the remaining meat over the cheese layer and top with shredded Colby jack or cheddar. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit at least 10 minutes before serving. Garnish each piece with shredded lettuce, diced tomato and avocado as desired.
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.
1 thought on “Keto Taco Casserole”
This recipe is a definite keeper! I altered a bit and used ground turkey instead of beef because I like the taste better. Thank you for sharing!! Leftovers are even better!!