Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles are my idea of keto heaven. Lightly sweetened keto chaffles, topped with a fluffy mascarpone whipped cream and topped with bright, luscious strawberry sauce. This low carb dessert (or breakfast) is perfect for the warmer months ahead and I can promise you, no one will know its low carb or keto!
Having strong ties to Poteet, Texas, the strawberry capital of the world, I can’t think of a better way to kick off the warmer months than celebrating spring and the launch of my new cookbook, with this Southern inspired Keto Strawberry Shortcake Chaffle dessert!
Ok, it’s taken me longer than usual to jump on the newest keto trend of chaffles. I tried them once in the beginning when I first heard about the idea and I was just disappointed with the way they came out. Eggy, not much flavor, and I count really envision a purpose for these things. Well, months later I’ve come around and these Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles are what did it for me!
Ok, so what is a chaffle?
Basically, it’s a waffle made out of cheese and eggs, two very low carb and keto friendly ingredients. When cooked, the cheese crisps up and makes for a crispy waffle…a texture that’s difficult to get with other keto recipes. Chaffles can be savory like these Garlic Parmesan Chaffles or sweet like these Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles!
What equipment do you need to make chaffles?
Well, my first attempt at making a chaffle was in a regular waffle maker and while it worked, when I bought this cute little Dash waffle maker, my chaffle life changed for the better. This little 4″ waffle maker is perfect for chaffles and is under $10 on Amazon.
Ingredients for the Keto Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles
The list of ingredients for this recipes is short and sweet! A batter of mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, eggs, sweetener and a little almond flour and vanilla get mixed together. I find the addition of a little almond flour takes away the eggy-ness of the chaffles that I’m trying to avoid.
After that, the chaffle batter goes into the waffle maker a few spoonfuls at time. Take my advice here, don’t over fill the waffle maker. I made the mistake of overfilling the first time I used my cute, tiny little waffle maker and it was a mess!
These chaffles are a little softer than the savory counterpart because of the use of cream cheese and almond flour instead of additional cheese (the cheese tends to make the sweeter chaffles to salty). They have crisp bits but are fluffy and soft…perfect for a strawberry shortcake.
Pro Tip: Place the waffle maker on a paper plate or piece of parchment for easy cleanup!
Reheating your leftover chaffles
This recipe makes about 8 chaffles, which is perfect for my family of four, but they are convenient to have on hand. They can be reheated in a toaster, air fryer, oven, or pop them back into the waffle maker! These chaffles are not served piping hot due to the cream but a toaster or air fryer can definitly breath some new life into them! We will store them on the counter overnight if we are using them quickly or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Toppings for Keto Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles
These sweet and delicious Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles are topped with a light mascarpone whipped cream and topped with and easy strawberry sauce for a gorgeous and incredible scrumptious keto friendly dessert!
The mascarpone cream comes together in minutes with just few ingredients. Slightly softened mascarpone gets whipped and lightened up with some lightly sweetened whipped cream. The mascarpone helps stabilize the whipped cream so you can go the extra mile and pipe it if you’re feeling fancy!
The strawberry sauce takes just minutes to make and really could be done with any berries. The strawberries are sweetened to taste with the sweetener of your choice. Then half are blended until smooth and poured over the rest of the chopped berries…done! It could not be easier! If you prefer just topping the Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles with chopped berries, feel free! Really you can make this easy keto dessert however you want!
Looking for more keto treats? Check these out!
Keto Strawberry Shortcake Chaffles
- Dash 4" Waffle Iron
For the Chaffles
For the Strawberry Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups quartered or sliced strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. sweetener
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
For the Mascarpone Cream
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 oz. mascarpone cheese leave at room temperature for 20 minutes prior to using
- 1 Tbsp. powdered Lakanto sweetener I used Lakanto powdered sweetener **
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Garnish: Chopped Mint
To make the Strawberry Sauce:
- Place 3/4 cup of strawberries, 1 tablespoon of sweetener and 1/4 tsp. of vanilla in to a blender and blend on high till smooth. Pour over remaining berries and chill till ready to use.
To make the Mascarpone Cream:
- Whip the heavy cream with the powdered sweetener and vanilla till soft peaks. Add the mascarpone cheese and continue whipping on high until stiff peaks form. This should take less than a minute. Cover and chill till ready to use.
To make the Chaffles:
- Preheat the waffle iron. Combine the cream cheese, eggs, shredded mozzarella, baking powder, sweetener, vanilla and almond flour and stir till smooth and well combined. Once the waffle iron is hot, place about 2 tablespoons on the batter in the center of the waffle make and close. Cook until browned and the steam is no longer coming out for the waffle maker. Remove from waffle iron and let cool on a wire rack. Repeat till all the batter is used.
- Place on chaffle in a plate and top with about 3 tablespoons of the mascarpone cream and 2 tablespoons of the strawberries and sauce. Garnish with chopped mint and enjoy!