This keto deep dish pizza recipe is brought to you by Fiesta Brand Seasonings!
I’m a pizza fanatic and I’ve tried all types of keto pizza from fathead to cauliflower crust, but when I’m in the mood for something a little different to satisfy my decadent pizza cravings this Keto Deep Dish Pizza is the answer!
I was in Chicago a few years ago for a work conference and I fell in love with deep dish pizza. Basically it’s like a pizza pie, full of cheese and toppings and topping off with sauce and parm. It’s not something we see a lot down here in Texas but it’s stuck with me over the years and I knew it was something that I wanted to ketofy! If you’re a pizza lover, you need to try this Keto Deep Dish Pizza!
Now a little disclaimer…probably very little about this recipe is traditional, just my delicious and fun interpretation.
What is deep dish pizza?
Well, I’m no expert in this arena but deep dish pizza is baked in a deep pan which gives it a high edge and the ability to hold a ton of cheese and toppings, pretty much resembling a pie more than a crust with toppings.
Choosing a pan for the Keto Deep Dish Pizza
I do not own a deep dish pizza pan but my good ole’ 10″ cast iron skillet worked beautifully! The skillet measures just over 10″ from edge to edge. The pizza was easy to slice and get out of the skillet once it cooled for about 10 minutes to set. That being said you can use a round or square cake pan for this as well, just make sure to oil or grease your pan for easy removal!
The Crust for the deep dish pizza
To change things up a bit, I used an almond flour-based mozzarella dough for my crust. The texture and buttery flavor reminded me of the gluten free crust on my pizza in Chicago and it’s a little thicker than the traditional keto fathead pizza crust. I seasoned the dough with some Fiesta Brand Italian Gourmet Choice Seasoning to give a little extra flare and flavor to the crust!
The pizza dough crust is pressed in the bottom and up the sides of the cast iron skillet and baked for a few minutes prior to the toppings going in. When baked, it gets golden brown and delicious around the edges as the dough kind of fries in the skillet…DELISH!
Topping for the Pizza
You can use any toppings you like in your keto deep dish pizza but for the sake of simplicity, I’m using just a handful of my favorites…a little crumbles sausage, pepperoni, onion and green pepper…and of course cheese. I have used cheese slices or grated mozzarella from the block. Just don’t use the pre grated and prepackaged stuff, it just doesn’t melt as well!
Now since this pizza is thicker than a traditional pizza, it bakes longer so the toppings are going in upside down. So, the cheese goes down first, then the veggies, pepperoni, then the sauce and some fresh parmesan. Make sure to use a sauce with no added sugar. Doesn’t it look gorgeous!
The keto deep dish pizza gets baked for about 35 minutes or until bubbly. After the pizza gets removed from the oven, I like to let it sit a few minutes to cool before I slice it. Then it gets sliced into wedges and its ready to eat!
Serve this Keto Deep Dish Pizza up with a side salad or some roasted veggies for a satisfying comfort meal the whole family will love!
Looking for more family friendly keto recipes? Check these out!
Keto Deep Dish Pizza
For the crust:
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese or 6 oz. mozzerella shredded
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced bell pepper
- ½ cup cooked Italian or breakfast sausage crumbles
- 3 oz. sliced pepperoni cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup sugar free marinara or pizza sauce
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
To prepare the crust:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, salt, garlic powder and italian seasoning; stir will to combine. In a small bowl combine the shredded cheese and cream cheese and heat in mictrowave for about a minute or until melted and smooth. Stir together to combine. Pour the cheese mixture into the almond flour mixture, add the egg and stir to combine, using your hands to knead the dough together as needed.
- Press the dough even onto the bottom and about 1 1/2 inches up the sides of a well greased 10" cast iron pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
To assemble the pizza:
- Layer the mozzerella slices evenly in the bottom of the pizza crust covering the entire bottom. Sprinkle in the cooked sausage and pepperoni. Then sprinkle the onion and pepper over the meat. Spread the sauce evely over the toppings and top with grated parmesan cheese. Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Cover the top of the pizza loosley with foil to prevent the edges of the crust from overbrowning if needed.
- Let the pizza sit for 10 minutes before serving to set up. Slice into 8 wedges and serve warrm!