This recipe for Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken is brought to you by Fiesta Brand Seasonings!
Today I’m sharing with you one of my all time favorite recipes… Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken. Ya’ll, Maddie and I are obsessed with this easy low carb dish! This super versatile chicken recipe is so simple to make and great to use up any left over baked or roasted chicken you have on hand. Shredded chicken, a little onion, tomato sauce and some of my favorite Fiesta spices are the unassuming cast of characters for this recipe…but don’t be fooled, it’s a show stopper!
My mom Laurie made this chicken growing up and we always called it “chicken chalupa meat” because we would typically make chalupas out of it, but the leftovers were the best part! Nachos, tacos, or just straight up this flavorful Mexican Shredded Chicken was a definite family favorite!
How to make Mexican Shredded Chicken
Well, the recipe starts with….shredded chicken! This recipe is really versatile and will work with just about any chicken you have on hand. When I’m meal prepping I make a double batch and cook a whole chicken or two in my instant pot, debone it and shred it up. Last time I made it I had a whole chicken and a few chicken breasts in the freezer so I through those in, and that combo worked great. If you like all dark meat, use all boneless thighs. I think the recipe is best with a whole chicken, using the dark and the white meat, but you do you! Baked, roasted, rotisserie, boiled, pressure cooked, it doesn’t matter, you just need 4 cups.
The recipe goes together quickly with a little sautéed onion. Then the Fiesta Brand spices go into the mix, cumin, chili powder, paprika and garlic powder. Everything gets quickly stirred around so the flavor of the spices really comes out. Next in goes the chicken and tomato sauce. You want to make sure there is no added sugar in the tomato sauce so you’re not adding extra carbs to your dish. The chicken gets tossed around and coated, using a little water or chicken stock to get everything incorporated. Everything gets heated through and done!
Great for Meal Prep
Maddie and I love this chicken so much, I’ve started making a double batch every week for us to eat for a quick dinner or lunch. The best thing about this Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken is that the whole family, keto or not, will love it and can use it a multitude of ways! You can use it immediately for dinner, pack it up in the fridge for the week or even freeze it for a few months.
Meal prep tip: Make a double batch of this yummy chicken if meal prepping! Believe me it won’t last long!
The options with this chicken recipe are endless! Here are a few ideas on what you can create with this Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken!
- Tex -Mex Pizza – Use it as a topping on your favorite keto pizza crust with salsa as the sauce and top with cheese, lettuce, tomato and avocado!
- Nachos – Serve it up on pork rinds as nachos and top with all your favorite toppings
- Taco Bowl – make a taco bowl with Garlic Lime Cauliflower Rice as your base and add the toppings!
- Stuffed Peppers – Stuff hollowed out bell peppers with this chicken and top with cheese and sour cream
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats – Stuff zucchini boats with the Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken and top with cotija cheese and Mexican crema
Give this super easy Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken a try and let me know what you think!
Looking for other easy recipes that are great for meal prep? Check these out!
- Chipotle Shredded Beef – Instant Pot
- Keto Dirty Rice
- Keto Cinnamon Crunch Cereal
- Keto Banana Blueberry Muffins
- Almond Chicken Salad
Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups cooked chicken (dark & white) shredded or pulled
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or water
To Prepare the Chicken:
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, melt the butter and add the chopped onions. Sauté onions until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the pices to the butter and onions and cook for another 30 seconds. Then add the cooked chicken, tomato sauce and water and stir to combine. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. You may need more salt if you used water instead of stock. Serve hot over cauliflower rice or in your favorite keto taco shell!
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.