This Mexican Shredded Beef recipe is brought to you by Fiesta Brand Seasonings!
Ya’ll, I have an easy keto instant pot recipe for you that is going take dinner time to the next level! Call it whatever you want…Chipotle Barbacoa, Chipotle Shredded Beef, pulled beef…this Mexican Shredded Beef recipe is going to quickly become a new family favorite! The magic of the Instant Pot transforms this unassuming beef roast into an amazing, spiced up, delicious meal in no time! Great for meal prep, this shredded beef is great to have on hand for quick keto lunches and low carb dinners throughout the week!
I’m always in for a hands-off meal that my family goes crazy for! I mean, I cook for guests and hunters pretty much every day here on the Ranch, so when I can prepare a flavor bomb, one pot meal that basically cooks itself…I’m all in. Since coming up with this Mexican Shredded Beef recipe it has been one of the Cowboys most requested recipes! He can’t stop raving about it, which means I’ve done something right!
The inspiration for this dish was my all time favorite barbacoa! I love traditional Mexican barbacoa…so rich and decadent…but let’s face it, traditional barbacoa has its challenges for your typical home cook! I wanted something with that great pulled beef texture without the hours and hours of cook time! So, I came up with this Instant Pot version of Chipotle Barbacoa or Mexican Shredded Beef that is so easy, but full of all the rich flavor that you want in a great barbacoa!
This Mexican Shredded Beef is done completely in the Instant Pot which I love! Pressure cooking the beef creates intense beefiness really helps the other flavors intensify and creates incredibly tender fall apart beef which is just what we want!
This shredded beef recipe is so simple! To help get that beefy flavor, I first brown a beef chuck roast with the saute setting on the Instant Pot. Once both sides are seared and golden brown, the veggies and seasonings go in! A chuck roast is perfect to use for this barbacoa style dish because it has plenty of fat and marbling that creates amazing flavor and texture in this shredded beef recipe!
Chipotle peppers are the magic ingredient here that takes this Mexican Shredded Beef from great to WOW! If you’re not familiar with chipotles, they are mature, dried, smoked jalapenos that are most often found in a can and packed in a flavorful smoky adobo sauce. Being mature peppers, they have a great heat and spice that pairs perfectly with the richness of the beef…it’s a match made in heaven!! We use just two of the jalapenos and some of that yummy adobo to add great flavor to this chipotle barbacoa!
Other spices like cumin, chili powder and garlic powder really work with the chipotle flavor to make this delicious Mexican shredded beef a real show stopper! Be sure to use fresh, great quality spices in your dishes! My cabinet is full of Fiesta Brand seasonings and spices for just that reason…they are fresh, great quality and never fall short in the flavor category!
We like to serve this Mexican Shredded Beef on a bed of cauliflower rice and top it with fresh pico de gallo, extra lime and sliced avocado! It’s a keto, low carb, dairy free, gluten free meal that the whole family will be asking for again and again! Trust me…make extra!
Check out these other dairy free keto recipes!
Mexican Shredded Beef – Instant Pot
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 2.5 pound chuck roast
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp. adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup beef broth or stock
- Salt Pepper & Garlic Powder
Garnish: Fresh Lime, Chopped Cilantro, Pico de Gallo, Sliced Avocado
- Preheat the Instant Pot by selecting the sauté setting and turning it up to high. Season the chuck roast on both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Once hot, add the oil and add the roast. Sear each side for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once the beef is seared, turn off the heat and add the next 10 ingredients. Place the lid on the Instant pot and place the valve in the seal position. Cook for 55 minutes on high pressure and natural release for 20 minutes.
- Carefully turn the valve to release any remaining pressure and remove the lid. Remove the beef from the liquid and place on a plate or pan and shred. Turn the Instant Pot back on the sauté setting on high and bring the remaining liquid the pot to a boil to reduce. Simmer for about 10 minutes…you should have about 1 – ½ cups of liquid remaining. Return the shredded beef to the pot. Serve with cauliflower rice topped with chopped cilantro, fresh lime, pico de gallo and sliced avocado!
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.