This Keto Dirty Rice recipe is a keto twist on a delicious Creole Classic! This one pan, cauliflower rice dish is quick and easy and full of Cajun flare! Bring a little taste of Louisiana to your dinner table and I promise your family, keto or not, will be begging for more!
I just got back from a trip to New York City by way of the New Orleans Airport. Unfortunately, due to a number of flight delays, I became very familiar with the airport and quickly realized that we were in Mardi Gras season! There were beads, décor and king cakes everywhere, and even though I didn’t make it out of the airport, you could feel the festive vibe which immediately got me in the mood for some Cajun fare and this Keto Dirty Rice recipe is a weeknight favorite!
What exactly is Dirty Rice?
Well, “Dirty Rice” is a classic creole dish that’s traditionally made with white rice…so we swapped it out for cauliflower rice to make it low carb and keto friendly! The name of the dish comes from the dirty look the rice gets when cooked with meat, (traditionally chicken livers) and veggies, like onions, peppers, celery, and seasonings. (I left the livers out of this version but feel free to add them if you like them!)
What if I don’t have venison?
This updated keto dirty rice is also made with venison and is so simple you will be amazed how incredible it tastes! If you don’t have venison, feel free to use beef, pork or even ground sausage.
So much of the flavor of this dish comes from the process of browning the meat until it caramelizes. I love to use my cast iron skillet for this because it’s heavy and does a great job at caramelizing the meat which is the secret to this keto cauliflower rice recipe!
In my opinion, every Southern Keto kitchen needs at least one good cast iron skillet! If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can use a heavy skillet or grab some cast iron from Lodge. My family has been using Lodge Cast Iron for decades and they are the best! You can find them at your local Walmart or order them from their site! I’ve also had great luck finding great Lodge pieces at thrift stores and yard sales so keep your eyes open!
The Holy Trinity of Cajun & Creole Cuisine
To give this dish, classic Louisiana flavor, we use the classic “trinity” of bell pepper, onion and celery is used to create a flavorful base to this Keto Dirty Rice recipe. To make quick work of chopping veggies, especially those onions, we love using the Vidalia Chopper Pro.
The addition of oregano, thyme, cayenne, garlic, and paprika come together to bring home classic Creole flair in this spiced up dish!
With the help of one of my favorite keto friendly ingredients frozen cauliflower rice, this dish comes together in a New York minute! The cauliflower rice and a little chicken stock help deglaze the pan and create that delicious “dirty” look on the cauliflower rice…DELISH!
Keto Dirty Rice is a quick one skillet dish that the whole family, keto or not, will love! Both kids and the Cowboy were eating it out of the skillet, which says a ton about the flavor and yum factor of this keto dish.
If you love Cajun or Creole flavors, this Dirty Cauliflower Rice recipe is a must try! Let me know what you think and try out these other favorite keto Louisiana dishes:
And if you’re in need of fresh, modern ideas to transform that freezer full of venison or wild game into amazing keto and low carb dishes, check some of my other favorite venison dishes:
Keto Dirty Rice
- 3 Tbsp. bacon drippings
- 1 pound ground venison or ground meat of choice
- 1½ tsp. salt divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder. divided
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- ¾ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 10-12 oz. bag frozen cauliflower rice
- ¼ cup. chicken stock
- Sliced Green Onions and Chopped Parsley
- Preheat a heavy bottomed or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the bacon drippings and add the ground meat. Season with 1 tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. pepper and ½ tsp. garlic powder. Brown ground meat, breaking it apart with a spoon until it begins to brown and caramelize. This should take about 8-10 minutes. If it sticks to the bottom of the pan, that’s ok.
- After the meat begins to caramelize, reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, pepper, and celery and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender and the onions are translucent. Add the garlic, paprika, oregano, thyme and cayenne and cook for another minute.
- Add the frozen cauliflower rice and stock and season with the remaining ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. garlic powder. Stir to combine, using the stock and liquid from the cauliflower to loosen the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. This will give the cauliflower rice its “dirty” look. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the cauliflower rice is tender and there is no liquid left in the pan. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Garnish with sliced onion and chopped parsley and serve hot.
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.
1 thought on “Keto Dirty Rice”
Just tried this recipe and it was so fabulous! I live in Cajun country and this has all the right flavors. Makes me feel like i’m not missing out on anything. Thank you!