What’s a warm, comforting bowl of chili on a cold fall or winter day without cornbread? Cornbread is one of my favorite accompaniments to soup, stews and chili…but it’s off limits for a keto or low carb lifestyle…right? Well, I’m about to make your entire winter with this amazing version of low carb cornbread to enjoy with all that yummy comfort food…. Jalapeno Cheddar “Cornbread”! Fluffy, light and full savory flavor, my bowl of chili will never be lonely again!
I created this recipe while working to recreate my moms’ cornbread dressing for a collection of holiday recipes I am working on. I put together a few versions that were just too this or too that but the last one surprised even me! The Cowboy walked in the kitchen from working on the tractor and asked what I was working on…” cornbread”, I said. He gave me a disbelieving kind of look and went over to the warm pan. He said, “looks like cornbread” …then he took a big whiff “smells like cornbread…you want to cut me a piece and I’ll taste it”? Sure!
So I cut a piece out of the corner of the pan and slathered it with butter…I mean come on, that’s the only way to eat cornbread….and handed it to him. Once I heard “tastes like cornbread”, I knew my low carb comfort food life was forever changed.
Let them eat cornbread!!
I created a yummy low carb copycat of my moms famous cornbread stuffing and the cornbread was so good I decided I couldn’t let it go there. I mixed in some roasted jalapeno, sharp cheddar and some savory spices…mixed it up and let me tell you, while it was baking… I new it was a winner. The smell was heavenly! What emerged from the oven was golden brown, fluffy, flavorful goodness! After it cooled a bit, I slathered a piece with butter and had a moment…so GOOD!
This low carb cornbread couldn’t be easier to make. Everything goes into one bowl, gets mixed up and baked…easy! I roast my jalapenos to make sure they are tender in the cornbread…you could easily sauté them quick as well. I use one jalapeno in this recipe and it’s pretty mild but the flavor of the jalapeno really shines. Always test the heat of jalapenos ahead of time so you don’t ruin a recipe by making it blistering hot…I have run into quite a few crazy hot jalapenos lately!
Great for game day to go along with a big bowl of chili or served up alongside your favorite stew…either way this Jalapeno Cheddar Low Carb Cornbread is a winner! Keto friendly & Gluten Free!
This cornbread and these dishes…HEAVEN!
Low Carb Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 ½ Tbsp. coconut flour
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener
- 5 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 5 Tbsp. butter melted
- 2 green onions sliced
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno diced and roasted or sauteed and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or grease a small baking dish...I used a 6 cup or 1.5 L Pyrex dish. Combine the first eight ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the eggs, sour cream and melted butter and whisk till thoroughly incorporated. Fold in the sliced green onions, cheddar and cooled jalapeno.
- Pour batter in to the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and a tester comes out clean. Serve along side your favorite chili or stew and don’t forget the butter!