The weather is finally cooling down and soup is back on the menu around here! Soup is one of my all time favorite things to create and this low carb / keto Chicken Verde Enchilada Soup is our new obsession! All the flavors of one of our favorite mexican food dishes, chicken verde enchiladas packed into one bowl full of heaven! A spicy, creamy Tex-Mex broth with roasted chicken topped with avocado, cheese and cilantro makes for one amazing south of the border meal! You will be making this chicken enchilada soup time and again!
I know officially the first day of Fall is still a few weeks away but this morning when I walked outside, it was amazing! Cool, breezy…I immediately knew soup was on the menu for dinner! While I could eat soup everyday, the Cowboy will only eat soup when the weather dips into the 60’s…at least. When you work outside in the heat the last thing you want to eat is a steamy bowl of soup! I was excited when he came in this morning and mentioned how great the weather was and how good soup sounded for dinner! SCORE! Now, while he and Paige have been waiting for their favorite Chicken and Wild Rice soup, Maddie and I had been dying for something a little more exciting (and lower carb)! We had been talking about creating this Chicken Verde Enchilada Soup ever since we made the Chicken Verde Taco Bowls!
A word of caution here…Jalapenos can be funny things. One time you get them there is no spice at all and the next it will literally light you on fire! We bought a batch of jalapenos last week that were beyond hot…even Dad #2 couldn’t take the heat and he eats likes them hot! The verde sauce is what gives the enchilada soup its amazing green enchilada flavor! When making the sauce for this soup, I used a combination of poblano, because I love the flavor, and jalapeno for some spice. I remembered how hot that batch of peppers was so I only roasted one for the sauce and let me tell you it was plenty! Don’t be intimidated by making you own verde sauce…it’s super easy!
Test the heat of your peppers and feel free to adjust the heat level for you and your family! You can use an extra poblano instead of the jalapeno to cut down on the heat or use 1/2 of a jalapeno or 2 if you like it really spicy! I recommend tasting your pepper ahead of time and adding a little at a time to get the heat you want!
This Chicken Verde Enchilada Soup is loaded with amazing Tex-Mex flavors! Make a double batch and pack it for lunch for the week! Serve it up for game day with a topping bar! No one will ever realize its low carb, keto and gluten free!
Chicken Verde Enchilada Soup
- 5 tomatillos
- 1 poblano
- 1/2 white onion, cut in half
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, fresh
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. lime juice (about two lime)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the Soup
- 3 cups shredded chicken**
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Avocado Slices
- Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
To make the Verde Sauce:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a sheet pan lined with parchment, place poblano, tomatillos, onion, and jalapeno. Wrap garlic cloves in a small piece of foil and drizzle the cloves with oil. Wrap them up and place on the sheet pan with the veggies. Drizzle the rest of the veggies with olive oil and roast in oven for 35-30 minutes or until peppers are blistered and a little charred. Set aside to cool.
- Once veggies are cool, seed the peppers and place them in the blender with the tomatillos, onion, garlic cloves, cilantro, lime juice and salt. To make sure you sauce is not too hot, taste the peppers first to gauge the heat or start with 1/2 a jalapeno at a time and increase to desired heat level. Blend on high until sauce is smooth. Set aside.
To prepare the soup:
- In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, pepper and salt to the pot and saute over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until veggies start to soften. Add the cumin and garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the veggies and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add 1 cup of the prepared verde sauce, cream and the chicken to the stock and veggie mixture and stir to combine. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Taste and adjust salt if needed. Serve immediately topped with Monterrey Jack Cheese, avocado slices, chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
- This soup makes great leftovers! Reheat it gently...if you boil it the sour cream may curdle a bit....still yummy just not too pretty!
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.
3 thoughts on “Chicken Verde Enchilada Soup”
How many cloves of garlic in the verde? Am I just looking right over it?
Sorry about that Jody! I made sure it was there…it’s 4 garlic cloves for the verde sauce. Let me know how you like it!
It was delicious! I did not alter the recipe but perhaps added a lil extra chicken and a small red bell pepper as well as the yellow for a lil color. It was a flavor explosion!! I added fresh avocado to the bowl along with a sprinkle of pepper jack cheese and cilantro. I shared the recipe with friends and I will definitely make this again and again. So easy to make.