I wait all year for the first peak of cool weather for an excuse to make soup…I could eat it everyday! That being said the Cowboy could not…for him, it’s got to be cool for soup! So, since we have said goodbye to our 90 degree days and have had some pretty chilly days up here at the ranch, it was finally time to bring out the soup pot. The first request of the season is always something chickeny…is that a word? Anyways, there is something comforting and satisfying about chicken soup…it just makes me want to cuddle up on the couch with a blanket and watch Christmas Vacation for the 1000th time! Chicken Poblano Chowder is exactly what you need to warm you up on a cool Fall or Winter night…a creamy, savory and comforting chicken soup with a Mexican flare, full of veggies and warming spices…it’s like a fleece blanket for your soup loving soul!
We have already hit freezing temperatures up here in the Texas Hill Country! Hunting season and soup season are in full swing! The other night the Cowboy requested Classic Chicken & Dumplings but I was feeling something a little lighter but still as comforting…Chicken Poblano Chowder was the answer.
Chicken Poblano Chowder is a creamy, spiced up version of chicken soup that is guaranteed to warm you up on a cool fall or winter day! Poblano peppers are added to the classic carrot, celery, onion combination and gives this soup a great pepper flavor without a lot of heat. Unlike most chowders, Chicken Poblano Chowder is not super thick but instead just thickened slightly to add some body to the soup and to get that comforting feel that you get from a creamy chowder. If you are strictly watching carbs or starches, you can simply leave it out or sub your favorite thickener. This soup is so versatile and flavorful you can really adjust it to suit your particular tastes. Quick and easy to through together, this soup is fantastic for entertaining too!
Do you have roasted turkey leftover from you holiday dinner? Try substituting turkey for the chicken! DELISH!
Chicken Poblano Chowder
Chicken Poblano Chowder is exactly what you need to warm you up on a cool Fall night...a creamy, savory and comforting chicken soup with a Mexican flare, full of veggies and warming spices...it's like a fleece blanket for your soup loving soul! Gluten Free, low carb friendly and quick & easy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded, deveined & diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded or diced chicken
- 1 ½ tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Step 1 In a medium stockpot or large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, peppers and carrot, sauté for 7-10 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add salt, pepper, cumin, poultry seasoning, and chili powder and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes.
- Step 2 Stir cream cheese into vegetables and continue stirring until completely melted. Add chicken stock and stir well to combine. Bring mixture up to a simmer, add chicken and continue to simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Step 3 If using cornstarch for a slightly thickened soup, whisk the cornstarch and cream together. Once soup is up to a simmer and veggies are tender, whisk the cornstarch/cream slurry into the simmering soup stirring constantly. Bring back soup back up to a simmer to thicken fully. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!
- Step 4 If not using cornstarch, when veggies are tender add the cream to the soup and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste and serve! Garnish with avocado, sour cream or chopped cilantro
If you like this recipe, then check out these similar dishes!