This post is sponsored by Fiesta Brand Seasonings.
When I think of super comforting soups, one that always comes to mind is the classic tomato soup. Growing up, a bowl of tomato soup with grilled cheese was a favorite comfort food meal! Well, I’ve put a south of the border spin on the classic with Mexican Tomato Soup! I love a soup that I can load up with toppings and this spicy, flavorful tomato soup is a DREAM! The topping options are endless, which makes it the perfect customizable family meal!
After months of battling sweltering hot weather…I have soup on the brain! The weather combination of cool weather and rain was all it took to put me in soup mode! It’s not a huge secret but soup is one of my favorite things to cook. It’s so simple, usually all done in one pot and it’s food that just speaks to the soul. It’s comforting, warm, soothing, relaxing, homey and delish! It’s all those yummy ingredients working together, flavors deepening and mingling, that make a pot of soup magical!
Last week, potato soup was my obsession and now it’s tomato! While there are some soups that you need to let simmer for hours on the stove to get a great depth of flavor…tomato soup is quick and easy! This Mexican Tomato Soup comes together in literally a few seconds! This soup could not be easier…dare I say it’s fool proof!
The key to this soup is using great, vine ripened tomatoes! Home grown? Bonus points! Great quality produce and ingredients are so important in this super simple soup! The veggies are roasted in the oven to caramelize and soften and then blended with spices and seasonings to create a flavor packed, healthy soup that the whole family will love! Fresh quality spices are also important in a soup like this…as you know, I love Fiesta Brand seasonings. You can find them here! They are great quality, super fresh and have no added ingredients which is fantastic for a low carb or keto lifestyle!
Now let me just say this…all veggies have carbs and tomatoes are higher in carbs than other veggies, like leafy greens or broccoli. Adjust your serving to your specific needs! This recipe makes about 4 cups of soup so you can have a bowl loaded with chicken and all of the toppings or have a small cup with a salad! Still only 5g of net carbs per cup!
Mexican Tomato Soup is warm, spicy and packed with great Mexican spices! For me, the fun is all in the toppings and the options are endless! We use shredded cabbage, pulled, roasted chicken, queso fresco, avocado, sour cream and chopped cilantro to take this comforting bowl of goodness straight over the top! Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free? Use the toppings to make it your own!
Great for game day or entertaining….make the soup in batches, keep in warm in the crockpot and create a topping bar!
Mexican Tomato Soup
- 4 medium vine ripened tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery peeled or strings removed
- ¼ medium red onion
- ¼ red, yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeno, halved, deveined and seeded
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 cup chicken broth (for vegan or vegetarian use Vegetable broth or stock)
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (additional for drizzling veggies)
- Shredded Cabbage
- Shredded Chicken
- Queso Fresco
- Diced Avocado
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Green Onion
- Chopped Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment. Place tomatoes, celery, onion, bell pepper and jalapeno on the sheet pan drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until skins begin to char and split.
- Place all the veggies in a blender. Just a note...if you are worried about the soup being too spicy, add only 1/4 to 1/2 of the jalapeno to begin. You can always add more to increase the heat! Add the granulated garlic and next 7 ingredients. For a smooth soup, blend on high for 5-10 seconds. You can also use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Place all ingredients in a large bowl or sauce pan and blend till desired consistency…this will make a soup with a little more texture. Top with desired toppings and enjoy!