This post is sponsored by Fiesta Brand Seasonings.
If you are a lover of Italian food like me, this low carb & keto friendly Italian Sausage Casserole with Eggplant is a must try! Tender eggplant, spicy and sweet Italian sausage, coated in a savory tomato sauce, studded with pocket of creamy ricotta and covered in cheese…sign me up!
In my book, Italian food is one of the ultimate comfort foods, but for me it was never about the pasta and so much more about the amazing, savory, sauces and of course the cheesiness! Honestly, living a low carb or keto lifestyle, I think Italian food is one of the easiest types of dishes to put together and this Italian Sausage Casserole with Eggplant is no exception!
Ahhh…the amazing, delectable eggplant
One of my absolute favorite veggies growing up was eggplant…I know right?! Eggplant and Italian food was not regularly on the menu at my house but every time we went out to an Italian restaurant you better believe I was ordering something with eggplant!
Eggplant is an odd but delicious veggie… or really fruit! If you aren’t familiar with eggplant trust me on this one. Eggplant is really a blank canvas! Stewed, roasted, baked or fried eggplant is creamy, meaty and incredibly delish! In this Italian Sausage Casserole with eggplant is cooked with the Italian sausage and tomatoes so it absorbs all those amazing flavors!
This quick and easy dish is made even easier with the use of Italian seasoning blends from Fiesta Brand Seasonings! The Italian Delight and the Gourmet Italian Choice seasonings are my go-to when I want authentic Italian flavors without using every herb and spice in the cabinet!
This Italian Sausage Casserole comes together in no time! Browned and caramelized, the eggplant and sausage combine with the tomatoes and before it goes into the oven dollops of creamy ricotta go all over the top right before a generous coating of mozzarella cheese! Then its baked to ooey gooey, cheesy Italian perfection!
Gluten free, low carb and keto friendly, this Italian Sausage Casserole needs to be in your weeknight meal rotation!
Looking for more yummy weeknight meals? Check these out!
- Cornbread Casserole with Venison
- Shrimp & Sausage Jambalaya
- Chocolate Cake with Ganache for dessert!
Italian Sausage Casserole with Eggplant
For the Filling:
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4-5 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 medium eggplant peeled and diced into ½” cubes
- ½ cup chicken or beef bone broth
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. Fiesta Brand Zesty Italian Delight Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Fiesta Brand Gourmet Italian Choice Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- ½ Tbsp. dried parsley optional
For the Ricotta Topping:
- ½ cup whole milk ricotta
- ¼ grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella sliced or 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the sausage and onions until browned. Add the diced eggplant and continue to cook until eggplant is soft, tender and has picked up some golden brown color. Add the chopped garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the stock and using a spoon scrape up any brown bits that are on the bottom of the pan. Add the next six ingredients to the meat and eggplant mixture and simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste the filling and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Pour the meat mixture into a greased casserole dish and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the ricotta topping, mixing well to combine.. Drop the ricotta mixture buy the tablespoon full all over the top of the meat and eggplant mixture. Lay sliced mozzarella over the top of the meat mixture or if using shredded cheese, sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the meat mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes of until bubbly and cheese is melted! Serve with a tossed salad and enjoy!