A quick comforting soup can be the perfect dinner for a busy weeknight and this Cauliflower Soup with Chorizo is one of our new favorites! This creamy, velvety cauliflower soup is made in the blender and topped with spicy chorizo for a super yummy Mexican kick! Low carb and keto friendly, this quick and easy soup is a weeknight winner!
The trees are starting to bloom and a hint of green is returning to the Ranch, which is such a delight to see! While the days are getting warmer, the cool nights are still perfect for soup! Regardless of what you may think, a great soup does not have to cook all day but there are some tricks to get that “simmered all day” flavor into a soup that is ready to dive into in less than 30 minutes! Here are my tricks to amazing flavor in this quick and easy Cauliflower Soup!
Trick #1: Roast the Cauliflower
This soup is cauliflower based so to get delicious rich, deep flavor it goes into the oven to roast! Roasting the cauliflower allows the florets to caramelize pick up some yummy color…this is what adds flavor to the cauliflower soup!
Trick #2: Use great stock or broth.
For this soup I used homemade bone broth that I had in the freezer. Homemade bone broth is a cinch to make, adds amazing deep “simmered all day flavor” to soups…not to mention collagen and other beneficial nutrition, so keep some on hand if you can! You can also purchase bone broth in the store that is good quality. I always try to have both on hand to I’m always prepared! Just make sure your broth has only ingredients you would put in your own stock!
Trick #3: Use fresh, high quality ingredients.
Wait…this doesn’t mean expensive! Fresh, high quality ingredients don’t have to be expensive or hard to find but they do make a huge difference in your final dish, especially when you have just a handful of ingredients your working with in the first place! Fresh veggies, good olive oil, real cheese, flavorful stock and great chorizo work together to take this cauliflower soup straight to the top of the mountain of deliciousness!
This velvety cauliflower soup is spiced up with some pepper laced cheese and Mexican chorizo…YUM! Mexican chorizo is a fresh sausage spiced up with paprika, chilis, garlic and other spices and you can find it both in a casing or in bulk. If you buy it in the casing, you will remove the meat from the casing before you brown it up!
I use the Kiolbassa brand chorizo because we absolutely love the flavor! It’s handsdown the best chorizo I’ve ever had and we drive miles and miles to stock up! The texture, spice and fat content is perfect for this cauliflower soup! You can find out more about it here and see if you can find it in your area! If you can’t find this particular chorizo, just use your favorite brand!
For the cheese element in this cauliflower soup, I used a delicious Pepper Havarti I found at Aldi but a good Pepper Jack would also be perfect!
This simple soup comes together in no time flat with very little hands on time…but don’t be deceived…the flavor is nothing but fabulous! All that comforting, delicious “simmered all day” flavor all in about 30 minutes! Cauliflower Soup with Chorizo is a quick and easy low carb and keto friendly meal, perfect for a busy weeknight or even weekend entertaining!
Looking for more keto or low carb soups? Check these out!
Cauliflower Soup with Chorizo
- 2 head cauliflower cut into florets
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder divided
- 2 tsp. salt divided
- 12 oz. Mexican Chorizo
- 4 cups bone broth or stock warmed
- ¼ heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 8 oz. Pepper Jack or Havarti with Peppers shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a large sheet pan with parchment. Place the cauliflower florets on the parchment, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. of granulated garlic. Toss the cauliflower to coat it in the oil and seasonings and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, remove the chorizo from the casing and in a medium skillet over medium high heat cook till brown, breaking the chorizo apart into crumbles as it cooks. Once, browned set aside, reserving any fat from the chorizo.
- Once the cauliflower is roasted, place it in a blender with the stock, cream, sour cream and remaining salt and granulated garlic. Carefully blend till smooth….please use caution when blending hot or warm liquid! You may have to vent the lid slightly so the steam is no building up inside. You can also use an immersion blender for this step if you don’t have a blender!
- Once the soup is blended, add about 6 oz of shredded cheese to the soup and blend again just until combined. To serve, divide the soup into 6 portions and divide the remaining cheese and chorizo between each serving and enjo! You can also stir the crumbled chorizo and 2 Tbsp of the reserved fat into the entire batch of soup and serve topped with the remaining cheese.
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.