This Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno with Ground Venison recipe is one of our favorites and the perfect addition to your next BBQ or cookout! Fresh jalapenos, stuffed with seasoned venison and spiced up cream cheese, wrapped in crispy bacon…this low carb & keto friendly appetizer is a must have!
If you go to a cookout or BBQ in Texas, I can pretty much guarantee bacon wrapped jalapenos, aka jalapeno poppers, will be on the menu. I have seen a few different versions of jalapeno poppers over the years but my all-time favorite renditions have a few things in common.
Ok…what I’m really saying is the perfect jalapeno popper in my book has the following elements…let just get down it.
- The cream cheese is mixed with a secondary cheese for more flavor and melty goodness!
- There is a meat element to the filling…I mean YUM! Sausage, chicken, shrimp, crab, ground venison, I’ve seen it all…a meaty element adds even more great flavor and texture to the popper!
- Half a pepper is plenty. I’ve experienced a stuffed whole jalapeno and personally, it’s a little too much pepper for me and you just don’t get the right ratio of filling to jalapeno. Also, if you happen across a batch of hotter than normal jalapenos, the heat of the pepper will just overwhelm everything and in my book that’s no good. I love spice but also want to enjoy my food!
- Bacon. A bacon wrapped popper is a must. Hand down. End of story.
So, taking all these important elements into consideration, these savory, spicy Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos with Venison were born!
Now, I know you can buy premade jalapeno poppers in the store but they are expensive and boring! I don’t know about where you are but here a package of 12 costs about $10 which is insane. Why? Labor. Yes, jalapeno poppers take some time to put together but its easy, they can be put together in advance, and they taste soooo much better!
There is some time to be dedicated to assembly here with these bacon wrapped jalapenos, so don’t rush. Yes…it will take a little time but it will be so worth it!
This is a great ground venison recipe to use all of that venison hamburger hanging out in your freezer!! I love using ground venison were I can since I have a freezer full of it and venison and jalapenos are a great pairing!!
Ground venison recipes, outside of chili, can be hard to come by but it’s one of our favorite proteins to use! Full of flavor, versatile and so good for you venison is a winner in my book!
Don’t have ground venison? Use ground pork or beef!
TIP! I use gloves and a teaspoon to clean the jalapenos so I don’t end up with a burning nose or lips! If you don’t use gloves be sure to wash your hand well with soap and cold water!
To give these Venison Jalapeno Poppers a final test I made a batch for a group of guys we had out at the Ranch. They went crazy for them! In fact, they ate so many of them they skipped eating their ribeye steak! I know…hard to believe right, a jalapeno popper over a steak….yep it happened!
Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos with Venison are our favorite version of this classic Texas appetizer…and one of our favorite ground venison recipes! Cream cheese, spiced up and combined with melt-y Monterrey Jack combined with seasoned venison makes the perfect filling…wrapped in bacon…divine! Whether you cook them on the grill or in the oven, these jalapeno poppers are KILLER! Perfect for a low carb or keto lifestyle! Kid, Cowboy and Ranch Guest Approved!
Looking for other yummy venison recipes? Check these out!
- Cornbread Casserole with Ground Venison
- Blackened Venison Tenderloin
- Venison Parmesan
- Italian Style Venison Meatballs
This our favorite version of this classic Texas appetizer. Cream cheese, spiced up and combined with melty Monterrey Jack combined with seasoned venison makes the perfect filling…wrapped in bacon…divine! Whether you cook them on the grill or in the oven, these jalapeno poppers are KILLER! Perfect for a low carb or keto lifestyle!
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 green onions or scallions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 12 fresh jalapenos, halved, seeded and deveined.
- 12-24 slices bacon, regular or thin sliced
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a large sheet pan with parchment. Set aside
In a skillet over medium high heat, add the venison and the next 5 ingredient and cook until venison is browned. Set aside to cool.
In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese, sliced onion, granulated onion and garlic and the shredded cheese. Mix well till thoroughly combined. Mix in the cooled venison.
To assemble the jalapenos, take one of the jalapeno halves and stuff with about a tablespoon of filling. The amount of filling you use will depend on the size of your jalapenos. Starting at the end, wrap each stuffed jalapeno half with a slice of bacon. If you have smaller jalapenos you can use a half a piece of bacon or trim it as necessary. You don’t want the bacon to overlap too much or it wont crisp up! Repeat until all the jalapeno halves are stuffed and wrapped.
Place the peppers on the lined sheet pan and bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is golden brown and crispy! Serve warm or at room temperature!