Ya’ll, I’m so excited about sharing this recipe with you!! This low carb and keto friendly Cornbread Casserole made with ground venison is comfort food at its best! Savory and spicy ground meat filling topped with cheddar cheese low carb cornbread…TO DIE FOR! This dish is so quick, easy and delicious, it’s bound to become a regular on your weeknight meal rotation!
I know that many of you who live a keto or low carb lifestyle live with people who haven’t joined you on your journey! I’m in the same boat….Maddie and I eat keto and low carb and the Cowboy and Paige…well not so much. Although they have cleaned up their eating, they still haven’t made the transition to low carb or keto. I’m not sure they will ever fully jump on the wagon but I don’t let that stop me from making amazingly yummy dishes like this cornbread casserole! The more I can prove low carb and keto is delicious…the more likely they are to jump on board!
One of people biggest fears for people who are on the fence about going keto or low carb is that they just won’t enjoy the food…that it will feel like they are on a diet…and who wants to live like that!? Let’s face it…we get pleasure from our food experiences and it can be scary to think of that going away! That is the thing I love most about this lifestyle…I never feel deprived or like I’m on a diet! Sometimes all those on the fence need is to know they can still have hearty, comforting food that tastes great! Well, this low carb casserole might be just the thing you need to turn your family into keto converts…at least for a night!
Cowboy and Kid Approved
I just got done baking off this keto cornbread casserole and I asked the Cowboy to give it a try. I know I can always get honest feedback from him…good or bad. Typically, I get “that’s good for keto or low carb”…but this time I got “now I’d eat that!”. SCORE! Not only did he like the bite he had, he voluntarily ate it for dinner that night. Yep…you heard me right…he asked to eat it for dinner….MIC DROP.
Meat Options for Cornbread Casserole
I used ground venison to make the chili filling because we have a ton in the freezer, but you could use ground beef, turkey or pork and it would still be amazing. Not only do we have a freezer full of venison…we love the flavor of it…especially in dishes like this! Ground venison recipes like this are a great way to move some meat out of that freezer!
The filling for this low carb cornbread casserole is super simple to make, brown the ground meat with onion and bell pepper, spice it up with yummy warm Mexican spices, add some tomato sauce to finish it off. Then you whip up the cornbread batter…easy peasy. Pour the filling in a dish, add some cheese, spread the cornbread batter on top and in 30 minutes you have a killer keto casserole that your whole family will go crazy over!
This keto Cornbread Casserole is great served with a salad and easily feeds up to eight!
Looking for more great venison recipes…check these out!
Cornbread Casserole with Ground Venison – Keto, Low Carb & Gluten Free
- 2 Tbsp. butter, olive oil, bacon fat or lard
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 pounds ground venison or ground meat of choice
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
For the Cornbread Topping
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 ½ Tbsp. coconut flour
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener
- 5 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 5 Tbsp. butter melted
- 2 green onions sliced
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno (optional) diced and roasted or sauteed and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 9×9 pan or casserole and set aside.
To Make the Filling
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the oil or butter, onions and bell pepper. Saute onions and bell for 3-4 minutes. Add the ground venison or meat that your using and cook till golden brown. Add the next six ingredient and stir to combine. Bring to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Pour filling into the prepared pan. Top with 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- To Prepare the Cornbread Topping:
- Combine the first eight ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the eggs, sour cream and melted butter and whisk till thoroughly incorporated. Fold in the sliced green onions, cheddar and cooled jalapeno if using.
- Spoon the batter on top of the meat filling and spread evenly to the edges. Bake for 30 -35 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm with extra cheese and sour cream!
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.