This appetizer recipe is sponsored by Fiesta Brand Seasonings!
We are always looking for new savory snack options to keep things interesting! These little savory Cheesy Squash Bites are a great keto appetizer or snack and a great way to use up that surplus of summer squash from your garden. Packed with sauteed yellow squash, onion and cheese these little morsels are so good you can’t eat just one! Quick, easy and a delicious keto snack option for game day, holiday gatherings or cookouts!
Everywhere I turn there are heaps of summer squash and zucchini! Squash is a regular on the menu around here because it’s such an easy side dish for any keto meal! Roasting is our favorite way to cook squash but every once in a while, we mix things up a bit so that’s how these cheesy squash keto appetizers were created!
These keto Cheesy Squash Bites remind me so much of a cheesy squash casserole my mom used to make for special occasions. You know the one that was topped with buttery crackers?! There was also one made with stuffing…so good! Anyways, these squash bites are everything I remember that casserole to be! Garlicky and cheesy flavor, a hint of sweet from the squash and just decadent!
Preparing the Squash
So there is not too much moisture in these little cheesy squash bites, the grated squash is sautéed in some butter with some garlic. This help removed excess moisture that otherwise would end up making you squash bites a soggy mess!
The sautéed squash is then mixed in with the almond and coconut flour batter and baked off in mini muffin cups. After twenty minutes these babies are done! Great to snack on, serve as a keto appetzier when entertaining, eat for a quick lunch or breakfast and they’re completely packable!
These Cheesy Squash bites get their yummy flavor from the Italian herbs and spices in Fiesta Brand’s Zesty Italian Delight seasoning! I love having this all purpose Italian seasoning around. It adds amazing, herb-y flavor to all types of dishes. The combo of garlic, Italian seasoning, Parmesan and squash is killer!!
Don’t underestimate these Keto Cheesy Squash Bites…there is a ton of flavor packed in these babies! These are a great keto appetizers for holiday gatherings, game day, cookouts, or make a batch and pack them for lunches! Cowboy and kid approved!
Check out these other keto apps and snacks!
Cheesy Squash Bites
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 ½ cup shredded squash
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Monkfruit/Erythritol Blend Sweetener I use Lakanto Brand
- ¼ tsp. Fiesta Brand Zesty Italian Delight or Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup Colby or Medium Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- 4 Tbsp. butter melted
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- Spray a mini muffin tin well or line a mnit muffin tin with liners and set aside. If using a silicone mini muffin pan, spray well and set aside.
- In a small skillet, melt one tbsp butter. Add onion, grated squash, garlic and 1/2 tsp. salt and saute 5-7 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. There should be no liquid in the pan Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flours and the next six ingredients and stir well to combine. Mix in eggs one at a time. Add the melted butter, sour cream and squash mixture and stir well. Stir in cheese.
- Drop by the tablespoon full or use a cookie scoop to place dough into a prepared mini muffin pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until the tops are just golden brown. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cook on rack completely. These bites can be served warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.