These Spinach Balls with Parmesan and Fontina cheeses are an old family favorite ketofied! Savory, cheesy, garlicky, light and super simple to prepare, this low carb and keto appetizer is a crowd pleaser!
Summer is officially here and I don’t know about you but we are all about light summer meals that pack a flavorful punch! And sometimes that means we do appetizers for dinner! One of our favorite things to do we aren’t sure what we want for dinner is to make a batch of a few of our favorite finger foods like Venison Jalapeno Poppers, Jalapeno Mexican Fudge, Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms or maybe some chicken wings and some of these easy Spinach Balls, turn on a movie and kick back!
We spend a lot of time entertaining and cooking for hunters here on the Ranch, so when Sunday rolls around and everyone goes home, we try to keep it as low key as possible! These Spinach Balls are a snap to whip up and the whole family loves them! The fontina cheese adds amazing flavor and texture to these fun appetizers! All the cheesy, garlicy goodness of spinach parmesan in little bite size nuggets…what’s not to love?!
I remember my mom making Spinach Balls as a kid for special occasions. Believe it or not I loved spinach and garlic as a kid so these were right up my alley. One bite into the soft, cheesy, savory morsels and I was hooked! Well when I since I started living a keto lifestyle, I had to come up with a worthy keto version of my moms spinach balls!
My Mom’s recipe for spinach balls calls for stuffing mix or bread crumbs but in the ketofied version I used crushed pork rinds which adds zero carbs and also helps gives these babies great texture! To make quick work of the park rinds through them in the food processor and give them a whirl till their all the texture of bread crumbs…easy!
The key to this spinach balls recipe is to make sure you dry your spinach out well. I layer about three paper towels onto each other, wrap the thawed spinach up and squeeze over the sink! Then repeat a second time, again pressing the it between a few layers of paper towels…DONE!
After the crushing and the squeezing, all that’s left to do is mix! Mix all the ingredients up, form the mixture into balls, let them sit in the fridge for a few minutes and bake! Prepping for a party? Roll all your balls ahead of time and refrigerate them until guest arrive. Once you’re ready to serve, pop them on a sheet pan and bake. Super quick and easy!
Maddie doesn’t even like cooked spinach, but she was snagging these gems off the plate before I could even snap pictures! WIN!
These easy and cheesy spinach balls are great to keep on hand in the fridge and would make a great addition to your lunch box and are great to have around when you in need of a savory snack!
Easy Spinach Balls – Keto, Low Carb, GF
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup red onion finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 10 oz. frozen spinach thawed & squeezed dry
- 1 cup pork rind crumbs
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup finely shredded fontina cheese
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 5 Tbsp. butter salted melted
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large sheet pan with parchment and set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine dried spinach, pork rind crumbs, cooled onion and garlic and the next 8 ingredients. Mix well to combine and let mixture rest in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a small scoop, divide out the mixture into 16 portions and use your hands form each portion into a ball. Place balls on the lined cookie sheet about an inch apart and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from the sheet pan and place on paper towels to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.