This tomato carpaccio recipe is brought to you by Fiesta Brand Seasonings!
This low carb and keto friendly Tex-Mex Tomato “Carpaccio” is the perfect recipe for summer and tomato season! Fresh, sweet, juicy tomatoes sliced and drizzled with a creamy garlicky avocado dressing and topped with tangy, pickled red onions, fresh cilantro and salty Cotija cheese…this refreshing, composed salad that will blow your mind!
The star of this composed salad are the sweet, juicy succulent fresh tomatoes…of course! Fresh garden tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes are best in this dish. Beefsteak, Brandywine, Roma, Green Zebra…mix and match, it doesn’t matter!
Pro Tip: Store ripe tomatoes at room at room temperature, uncovered and enjoy them within 1-2 days. Store overripe tomatoes in the fridge.
Easy Pickled Red Onions
Making the pickled red onions for this Tex-Mex Tomato Carpaccio is so simple and easy. I love using these onions in guacamole or as a topping on tacos! Thinly sliced red onion, some fresh lime juice, salt, and a little sweetener is all it takes to prepare these onions. Toss it them up and let them sit for about 30 minutes and they’re ready for the tomatoes. Mildly sweet red or purple onions are a must for this recipe!
Dressing for the Tex-Mex Tomato Carpaccio
This simple dressing is best make in a blender but a food processor will work as well. The avocados create a creamy, dreamy dressing that’s full of healthy fats! The dressing ingredients go into the blender,…avocados, green onion, garlic, olive oil, sour cream and my favorite Fiesta Brand seasonings and are blended until smooth…then it’s ready to drizzle over the tomatoes!
This creamy avocado dressing is also amazing on a taco salad or fajita bowl!
After the avocado dressing is drizzled over the tomatoes, it’s time for the toppings! Fresh cilantro, salty cotija cheese, and tart pickled red onions for a little bite!
This super fresh salad is best assembled right before serving and served at room temperature.
Serve this simple, but delicious tomato carpaccio up at any BBQ, cookout or gathering to rave reviews! Refreshing and full of flavor, this simple and easy dish will knock your socks off!
Looking for more cool keto summer sides like this tomato carpaccio? Check these out!
- Keto “Potato” Salad
- Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Antipasto Salad
- Artichoke Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette
Tex-Mex Tomato “Carpaccio”
- 5 fresh ripe tomatoes sliced in ¼” slices
For the pickled onions:
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion about ¼ of an onion
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
For the dressing:
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 green onion trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
To prepare the pickled onions:
- Place the sliced onion in a small bowl and toss with salt and lime juice and let sit at least 10 minutes. Drain, pat dry and set aside.
To prepare the dressing:
- Place the avocado, garlic, onion, cilantro, oil and the rest of the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor or blender and blend till smooth or well combined. Set aside.
To assemble the salad:
- Pour about a third (1/2 cup) of the prepared dressing on the platter. Arrange the tomato slices over the dressing, overlapping them in rows and lightly season with salt. Drizzle more of the dressing over the tomato slices, as much as desired. Drain the pickled onions, dry them slightly and sprinkle even over the tomatoes. Sprinkle the cotija cheese and chopped cilantro over the tomatoes and serve immediately.
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.