This post is sponsored by Bolner’s Fiesta Brand.
Tired of the same dinners week after week? Spice up things up with Loaded Chorizo Burgers!
The weather is finally cooling off a bit and we got a good amount of rain last week around here which we needed desperately! Things are finally starting to green up! For me, this is perfect burger weather! Now, burgers are one of my go to meals, especially if we are going out to eat. I know a bunless burger is typically a really safe bet when eating out…sub salad for the fries and voila! I also prep burger patties ahead of time and keep them in the fridge or freezer to eat throughout the week…I pile the toppings on depending on what mood I’m in!! But I have to admit that even I sometimes get bored with the traditional burger no matter how I top it! Enter the Loaded Chorizo Burger. A juicy pork and beef patty spiced up with Mexican flare topped with gooey cheese, creamy avocado and cilantro lime crema!
If you aren’t familiar with Chorizo…let me explain. Generally speaking, there are two types of Chorizo, Mexican and Spanish (or Portuguese). Spanish Chorizo is a spiced, dried and cured sausage in a casing… think Spanish salami. Mexican Chorizo is a fatty, ground meat sausage, usually pork, sold fresh and uncooked. It’s heavily spiced with chili powder, paprika and other spices which make it dark red in color and incredibly delicious! It can be found in a casing but it’s removed before you cook it up. It’s commonly used around here scrambled with eggs to make a killer breakfast…but the possibilities are really endless!
Now, we’ve bought our share of chorizo and some of them can be a little too much…too much seasoning, too bitter, too greasy, too fine and mushy…but there’s one way to guarantee perfection…make it yourself! Bolner’s Fiesta Brand makes a Chorizo Mix that will ensure you have that perfect chorizo flavor every time and it’s so quick and simple to do yourself! Better yet, if you haven’t found a brand you like or can’t find Mexican Chorizo in your area, this spice blend is a must have! Once you realize how simple it is to make your own, you’ll never go back to the packaged stuff!
I’ve used this Chorizo seasoning to create kicked-up Loaded Chorizo Burgers that will knock your socks off! A juicy blend of pork and beef with a blend of spices, garlic and grilled to perfection and topped with ooey, gooey Monterrey Jack cheese, creamy avocado, crisp veggies and a cool cilantro lime crema…in one word…scrumptious!
There are options here for the whole family no matter your dietary preference! Being low carb / keto, Maddie and I really prefer our burger without a bun so we like to stack everything on a crisp, cool piece of iceberg lettuce….for us, it’s all about the toppings! We also keep low carb buns around for when we are feeling like a bun and for the Cowboy and the little one…well take a guess!
To ensure you get maximum flavor in your burger, be sure to plan about 12-24 hours in advance…this will allow the spices to really marry with the meat. Simply prep the burger mixture the night before…it will be so worth it! Entertaining a crowd? Make these into sliders and serve with a topping bar! Perfect for game night!
If you are suffering with the boring dinner blues, spice up burger night with a Loaded Chorizo Burger…one taste and I promise you will be a chorizo fan forever!
Loaded Chorizo Burgers with Cilantro Lime Crema
Chorizo Burger Mix
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20 or 73/27)
- 6 Tbsp. Bolners Fiesta Brand Chorizo Mix
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder (granulated)
Cilantro Lime Crema
- 1/4 cup sour cream, full fat
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (your favorite)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice,
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (granulated)
- salt & pepper to taste
12-24 hours prior to cooking:
- Combine all burger ingredients together in a large bowl and mix thoroughly to combine all the seasonings with the ground meat. Place the mixture in a large ziptop bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours but 12- 24 hours is best!
For the Chorizo Burgers:
- Remove the burger mixture, from the fridge and divide into 6 portions and form each portion into a patty. Season both sides with salt and pepper and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook patties 3 at a time about 4-5 minutes per side. If desired, top with cheese and cover with lid for 1 minute to allow cheese to melt.
Cilantro Lime Crema
- Combine all 6 ingredients for the crema and mix to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve up these gorgeous burgers on a bed of lettuce or on your favorite toasted bun. Top with guacamole or sliced avocado, fresh tomato, sliced onion and crema and enjoy!