Growing up, this casserole was reserved only for special occasions…but not anymore! This Green Chili Cauliflower Casserole is one of my all time favorite low carb and keto dishes! Cauliflower rice baked in a super easy, sour cream and green chili sauce and topped with ooey, gooey melty cheese. It’s a quick and easy side that you and your family will want over and over again!
Green Chile Cauliflower casserole was inspired by one of my childhood favorite special occasion dishes. It was always on the table at Easter, Christmas and other holiday dinners…or at least I always hoped it was! It was always reserved for special occasions in our house because these rich and decadent dishes just weren’t considered every day food!
Lucky for you, living a low carb or keto lifestyle, this cream, dreamy, cauliflower casserole can now a weeknight regular!
The version from my childhood had white rice as the main ingredient so I switched it up with some cauliflower rice, made a few other modifications and we were blown away! I have to say this low carb and keto version is even better than the original…sorry mom!
As you now know, I live on a ranch out in the middle of Texas and we’re about 45 minutes away from the nearest store, so we stock up on groceries when we go to town! While I love fresh veggies, they don’t seem to stay fresh for long enough, so to save time and money, I stock up on certain frozen veggies and cauliflower rice is one that we always have on hand! I try to load up when it goes on sale, so we always have it around for a quick side options or to use in our favorite recipes. You can also now find it in bulk in the frozen section which is so handy!
Maddie and I love the versatility of cauliflower rice and use it all the time, for anything from pizzas to casseroles, and yummy dishes like this oh-so-good Green Chile Cauliflower Casserole!
For this yummy cauliflower casserole, cauliflower rice baked in a super easy, sour cream and green chili sauce and topped with ooey, gooey melty cheese…sound delicious? IT IS! It’s all my favorite things …creamy, cheesy, decadent, comforting and so incredibly delicious.
If you are afraid of spice, don’t worry! Green chilies are not hot like jalapenos! They are mild and have great chili flavor with non of the heat…trust me! You can find the in the Mexican section of the grocery store and I use the brand Old El Paso! Look for it! These are great to have on hand!
Have some left over roasted chicken? Throw it in the cauliflower casserole mix before it goes into the over and make it a full meal!
Served up aside a grilled rib-eye, crispy chicken thighs or even grilled shrimp, Green Chile Cauliflower Casserole will quickly become a favorite side in your weekly meal rotation. It takes minutes to put together and can be made ahead of time, so it can easily be used for meal prep as well!
Looking for more low carb and keto friendly side dishes? Check these out!
Creamy Green Chile Cauliflower Casserole
- 3 T butter
- ¾ cup diced celery
- ¾ cup diced white onion
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups frozen cauliflower rice thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack or monterrey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 4 oz can mild chopped green chiles drained
- ½ cup sour cream full fat
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter or grease a 9×9 pan or medium casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add celery and onions and season with 1 tsp salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until veggies are tender. Turn down heat to medium and add cream to the pan and stir constantly and reduce by half, until thick and creamy and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine dried cauliflower rice, ½ cup of each cheese, drained chiles, sour cream, veggie/cream mixture and seasonings and stir till incorporated. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared pan and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly…Enjoy!
Nutrition facts are approximate and will vary depending on the ingredients used. Carbs from sugar alcohols have been excluded since they have shown to have no impact on blood sugar.
1 thought on “Cheesy Green Chile Cauliflower Casserole”
This was heaven in a casserole. My stepdaughter couldn’t even tell there was cauliflower rice in it. Added some diced up chicken and voila!