Lemon Blueberry Cream Cake…one bite and the Cowboys’ eyes rolled back…his head shook with satisfaction and at that moment I knew that I had created something worth jotting down. He had no idea is was low carb and sugar free…that’s a keeper in my book!
After what seemed like days and days of rain and dreary days…these past few days have been absolutely gorgeous…and just in time for Spring Break! The Cowboy was hunting the weekend before and brought home some gorgeous pork loin to cook that we turned into Wild Pork Medallions (scrumptious). Naturally we made a feast out of it and, in my book a feast requires a dessert, so I went searching for ingredients. I had such great results with my low carb Almond Flour Sour Cream Pound Cake , I thought I could do a version of that with the few lemons I had on hand and some blueberries that needed to be used up…the result was mind-blowing.
Just as in the Almond Flour Sour Cream Pound Cake, I used almond and coconut flour to replace the white flour. I also used a granulated sugar substitute, Swerve, for the sugar but feel free to use your favorite sweetener. I am typically not a huge fan of sugar substitutes. Many of them have an odd aftertaste that I just don’t care for. I just prefer to avoid sweets all together because I know my body just doesn’t like them but the Cowboy and the girls love treats and desserts.
We try our best to eliminate refined sugar from our everyday diets so I feel better using erythritol based sweeteners, like Swerve, that don’t cause blood sugar spikes and taste so close to the real thing my girls don’t notice. Sukrin is another sweetener that I like and works well in baked goods, although it is harder to find. In this recipe, I didn’t notice any aftertaste, and I have to be honest, I had more than one piece and the girls thought they were just eating yummy lemon cake! The whole cake barely lasted two days…now even Maddie is coming up with some different versions that she wants to try…so stay tuned!
This Lemon Blueberry Cream Cake is moist and perfectly lemony with bursts of sweet blueberries…perfect for dessert, a lunch box snack or even breakfast! If you are fan of lemon…this is a must try!
Lemon Blueberry Cream Cake
This cake is moist and perfectly lemony with bursts of sweet blueberries. It is perfect for dessert, a lunch box snack or even breakfast! Low carb and no refined sugar means yummy cake with none of the guilt!
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Swerve or Sweetner of Choice
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tsp Swerve, confectioners powder (optional)
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Set aside,
- Step 2 In a medium bowl combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
- Step 3 In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with sweetener until smooth and fluffy. Add cream cheese, mixing well making sure there are no lumps.
- Step 4 Add eggs to butter mixture one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and zest.
- Step 5 Add dry ingredients to butter and eggs mixture. Mix well until well combined. Fold in blueberries being careful not to smash them. If you have powdered swerve, you can toss the blueberries in 2tsp. This will help them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
- Step 6 Pour batter into greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Start checking for doneness after 30 minutes.
- Step 7 Remove from oven and let cool for 25 minutes then turn out onto rack to cool completely before slicing.