Sausage & Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
Spinach & Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are simply stunning and make a delicious, savory appetizer for guests or go great with a salad for a light dinner. Good news...these stuffed shrooms have no bread crumbs so they are keto, low carb and gluten free!
- 12-16 whole button or cremini mushrooms cleaned & stems removed (save them)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12-16 mushroom stems cleaned & finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 pound pork breakfast sausage mild or spicy & gluten free
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese finely shredded
- 1/4 cup fontina finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce make sure its gluten free
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh spinach wilted & chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Extra parm or fontina for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Melt butter in medium skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic and mushroom stems. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of salt and cook for about 7 minutes or until onion is translucent and soft. The mushrooms will release some moisture then this will cook off leaving yummy mushroom essence with little liquid. Remove from heat to cool.
In a medium bowl, add sausage, Worcestershire sauce, pepper flakes, wilted spinach, onion/mushroom mixture parsley and both cheeses. Mix till thoroughly combined.
Take each mushroom and stuff with about a tablespoon of filling depending on the size….they should be heaping.
Line mushrooms up on parchment lined sheet pan, sprinkle with a little extra fontina or Parmesan and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and brown. Serve warm, room temp or cold…YUM!
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 0.4mg