The Cowboys’ favorite cookie is old fashioned peanut butter…well until now. I never though there could be another cookie he would like as much as the beloved peanut butter but I was dead wrong. Ever since I made my Mango Pecan cookies all I have heard is “when are you making more of those cookies?”. Well, I just finally gave in…but I was out of mango so I thought, why not an oatmeal raisin version? I was shocked he liked the mango in the first place and I know he loves raisins, so I just went with it. After about 45 minutes of experimenting, a new favorite cookie emerged from the oven…Rum Raisin Oatmeal Cookies. One bite and he was hooked!
Be warned….these are not your traditional oatmeal raisin cookies. I baked those cookies last night and they are half gone…and the girls are not here! I went in this afternoon to steal a corner of one and from the other room I heard “get out of MY cookies!”. They are really amazing and that’s coming from a girl that’s not crazy about raisins. These oatmeal cookies are really special, buttery, caramelly, crispy on the bottoms and edges and chewy in the middles. They remind me of a bowl of the maple and brown sugar oatmeal I loved as a kid but with a rum kick that just jives perfectly with the toasty caramel flavors…I’m telling you, I don’t think it gets any better!
Soaking the raisins in rum not only adds great flavor, but helps plump the raisins up so they do not burn while they bake!
These Rum Raisin Oatmeal Cookies launch the traditional oatmeal raisin cookie into another universe of yumminess! They are gluten free, quick & easy and made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry…no special flours needed! You better find you a good hiding spot if you want to keep these around for long!
Rum Raisin Oatmeal Cookies
Rum Raisin Oatmeal Cookies are utterly incredible... buttery, caramelly, light, crispy on the bottoms and edges and chewy in the middles with a rum kick that just jives perfectly with the toasty flavors...I'm telling you, I don't think it gets any better! Gluten free and simply amazing.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dark rum (you can use whiskey for a stronger flavor)
- 1/2 butter, salted, room temperature (super soft)
- 3/4 light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup gluten free quick oats, not instant
- 1/2 cup coconut, unsweetened flakes
- Step 1 Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, combine raisins and rum. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds till hot. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, while you whip up dough.
- Step 3 Combine super soft butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and cream till light and fluffy. Add egg, salt, 1 1/2 tsp of rum from raisins and extracts and mix to combine, scraping down sides the the bowl.
- Step 4 Add both types of oats and coconut and mix well.
- Step 5 Drain cooled and plumped raisins. Shake raisins off till damp, not wet and add to mixture. Mix to incorporate well.
- Step 6 Scoop cookie dough out onto a parchment lines sheet pan about 2 inches apart, flattening slightly. The cookies will spread some while baking. Bake at 325 for 12-13 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Step 7 Cool cookies completely on cookie sheet or they will completely fall apart! I have found that they store much better in the fridge…and are great cold as well! If you leave them on the counter they do get a little soft…but they are still amazing!!