Now, I know summer is the official grilling season but I love, and prefer grilling in the Fall! Texas Fall weather is just perfect for sitting out on the porch watching the sunset and grilling up some super tasty food! These Bacon Wrapped Chicken Diablos are one of my favorite things to come off the grill yet. Spicy, juicy, cheesy and bacon wrapped…what could be better!
The Cowboy loves grilling…it’s definitely his “thing” and he is great at it! He makes one of the most incredible steaks ever (you can find his method and recipe here), in fact I don’t even bother ordering a steak in a restaurant anymore. I often take advantage of his love of grilling and put him in charge of dinner…outside! Clean up is easy, food tastes great, and it’s quick and simple. If you don’t have a grill or the weather is not cooperating, don’t worry…baking these in the oven will also do the trick!
These Bacon Wrapped Chicken Diablos really go together quickly and can easily be made ahead of time. The key is to get everything cut up and ready to go assembly line style. If you can find chicken breast already sliced thin or milanesa style you can also use those, but it is really easy to do yourself. I am able to get 2-3 pieces of chicken out of each chicken breast by slicing them on the horizonal. Don’t sweat it if they aren’t perfect…they will still taste amazing!
One of the things that make this chicken so easy is the seasoning…one seasoning that it. Let me tell you, one of mnew favorite spice blends to use on…well everything…is Rodelle’s Texas Style Brisket Rub. No, you didn’t read wrong…and yes, it’s called brisket rub but it is incredible on veggies, burgers, French fries, steak, chicken and yes, brisket! It’s a super versatile…sweet and smoky with a little spicy kick and perfect on my Bacon Wrapped Chicken Diablos!
Whip these Chicken Diablos up for a relaxing weekend dinner on the patio or slice em’ up for game day appetizers, you can’t go wrong with bacon wrapped, cheesy, spicy chicken goodness! These yummy morsels are gluten free and naturally low carb…so enjoy! Try with my Authentic Tex-Mex Guacamole… DELISH!
For more information about Rodelle’s Texas Style Brisket Rub or other products click here.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Diablos
Whip these Chicken Diablos up for a relaxing weekend dinner on the patio or slice em’ up for game day appetizers, you can’t go wrong with bacon wrapped, cheesy, spicy chicken goodness! These yummy morsels are gluten free and naturally low carb...so enjoy!
- 2-3 chicken breast, thinly sliced horizontally
- 3 fresh jalapenos, halved lengthwise, seeded and deveined
- 1/2 sweet or purple onion, cut into 4-5 wedges
- 6 oz. Pepper Jack Cheese, sliced into 6 pieces
- 6 slices of smoked bacon (gluten free)
- Rodelle Texas Style Brisket Rub or your favorite seasoning blend
- Step 1 Liberally season chicken on both sides and sprinkle seasoning over onion and on the inside of peppers.
- Step 2 Lay one piece of chicken flat on cutting board. In the center of the chicken piece, place a piece of onion and a piece of cheese. Place the jalapeno half over the cheese cut size down.
- Step 3 Take one end of the chicken and fold tightly over the jalapeno and repeat with the other end. Wrap one piece of bacon tightly around chicken bundle and secure with toothpick. Repeat for other pieces of chicken.
- Step 4 At this point you can cook or, if making ahead, store in a covered container and refrigerate until time to cook.
- Step 5 To Cook: Grill over hot coals (350-400 degrees) for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is oozey and chicken is cooked through OR Place chicken on a sheet pan lined with parchment and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. The thinner your chicken the less cooking time you will need.
- Step 6 Enjoy with guacamole and a cold drink!